Friday, December 19, 2008

Making Miracles Happen

Often a miracle is something that starts ordinary and becomes extraordinary. Take for instance the day I met a young boy named Jerry. It was 1979 in Haiti. I had just finished preaching at a local church when a boy came up to me and asked me for a nickel to buy a roll. For three cents more he could put butter on it. I told him he better get a drink to wash it down too and I gave him 20 cents. That was the only meal Jerry would have that day. After that meeting, Jerry’s plight haunted me. I thought of the surplus wheat in my home state of Oklahoma and how many rolls it would provide to hungry children like Jerry. And from there Feed The Children was born.

Until I was 38 years old, I preached to people, telling them how to live. But after I met Jerry, I was compelled to focus more energy on living what I preached.

What a blessing it was for me to meet Jerry that day. Just look at what Feed The Children has accomplished today, feeding thousands of hungry children every day abroad and right here in the U.S. Thirty years ago, I never imagined in my wildest dreams we’d be able to help so many. To me, that is a miracle.

This holiday season, we are making more miracles happen. Our goal is to put 175 trucks full of food on the road all across America by Christmas. With the support of kind friends, I believe we can do it. Just imagine the look of joy that will spread across a hungry child’s face when he sees a big box of food for his family. It’s the same expression I saw on Jerry’s face when I handed him that 20 cents.

Nothing short of miraculous.

No comments: