Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Amazed By Our Country’s Resolve

Recently we began asking people visiting our website to share their struggles. We want to hear how Americans are coping with recent economic pressures—a slowing economy, rising energy and the global food crisis. The responses we receive, and there are many, demonstrate just how tough things have gotten in our nation.

But what really surprises me is how many emails I get like this:

“Larry, even in these hard times, when I can, I put the dollars I can spare in the envelope and send them to Feed The Children. God is good, and even though times are hard for us, they are even harder for someone else. Luckily, my children are grown so I do not have to face hungry eyes.”

Just like many of us, this couple had to turn down the heat, clip coupons and reduce their spending recently. But they also remember that there are those that are much worse off – mothers and fathers struggling just to put food on the table. So even if they send just a dollar or two, they know that when they add that to the dollar or two of other caring Americans, it adds up and makes a life-changing difference.

It’s caring and compassion like this that will get us through these trying times and making us a stronger nation. After all, that’s the American way!

No comments: